I have previously mentioned that I was taking up a challenge to write a 5000 word short story within 4 weeks for a competition. I started off with 1500 words and I have been adding to it, with the target word count of 5000 words in mind. Tonight, I realised I was wrong. Reading the rules on the Bridport Prize webpage, I discovered that it is a MAXIMUM of 5000 words. I’m not going to lie, I could have bulked up my story to 5000 words but I doubt it would be the best version of the story. The version I have now is better than it was at 1500 words but I think that with a little bit of editing, I can make my story the best version yet.
I don’t know why I didn’t read the competition rules before I began but I have learned a lesson tonight – read and read thoroughly!
I’m just glad I realised it with a week to spare 🙂